Man, did I just enjoy the best dinner! Tonight’s dinner was brought to me by the veggies from my local farmer’s market. I made zucchini boats and a caprese salad with a balsamic reduction.
- You’ll need vibrantly green zucchini, the smaller ones.
- Deliciously ripe tomatoes, you can use the little ones (cut them in half) or just cut a bigger one into smaller pieces.
- Trim up the zucchini, cut them lengthways and scoop out the seeds.
- Next you want to sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil.
- Place tomatoes in the boats then sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese of your choice on top. I would recommend mozzarella, fontina or gouda. In an effort to keep this healthy I scantily sprinkled cheese and boy was that hard!
- Cook under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- For kicks, sprinkle with fresh basil!
One of my favorite condiments is a good balsamic reduction. I simply pour balsamic vinegar into a pot and simmer over low heat until it reduces by half. Now, fair warning, your house will smell quite vinegary, but it’s worth it! I love drizzling this over a caprese salad, a tomato pie, chicken or steak.
Cut ripe tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into thickish slices. Then go outside to your herb garden and pick some basil. Next you want to layer tomato, basil, mozzarella, basil, tomato, basil etc… Once assembled drizzle with the balsamic reduction over the salad. I can’t get enough of this salad!
The only thing that improved this dinner was the fresh blueberries I ate for dessert!
I love the summer!